Injured and ill prepared, Kristal still finished the P.F. Chnag's Rock'n'Roll Arizona FULL MARATHON!
Pre-Race Photo OP
Beautiful Arizona sunrise to start the race!
Kristal is ready, ready to run! Bring It!
I am officially a "marathoner", Whoop, Whoop!! I knew there was no way I would be holding the pace I was running before the knee injury but I was gonna go out guns smokin'... I decided 8:30-ish would be a good starting point. I totally lost that pace and by the time I was finishing up, crawling was looking like an option! Here is how it all went down....
Splits/Graph (click to enlarge)
Race Photos By Tim!
Mile 5, still looking fresh! 21 miles to go...
Me holding up the 1-1, represent! (Mile 11)
Trying to smile... A quick stop in mile 19 to put one the knee brace!
Coming into the Finish! Hurting Bad!!
Smile for the Finish!
Ice and ready to GO HOME!
If... I don't fall over!
what are my excuses for running slow why was this Marathon challenging?
- Mile 7 was slow due to a emergency pit stop (Power Poo).
- Mile 16 was me hitting the "WALL"... Note that 16 miles was my longest training run due to the knee injury! So I just told myself, hold 9:30-ish for as long as you can, keep on keeping on!
- Mile 19 was a pit stop to put on my knee brace. At this point I thought my knee was going to fall off.
- Mile 21 and on was me hanging on wishing I hadn't been injured and been able to train more!
- Mile 25 I really felt like walking, crawling, anything but "running", well actually it was more like a jog but still sucked!
Overall it was a success because I finished. So, will I do another one? Right now... NO WAY! Maybe you should ask me again in a few months. I have an MRI/x-ray on Tuesday. I think I am going to focus on a Triathlon! And I really love 1/2 Marathons, maybe I will just stick to those for awhile.
P.S. I love my husband, thanks for the support!